Saturday, April 04, 2020

Missing the Americans

via GIPHY

Why do Americans always end up as heroes in the movie; my Ex brought up the topic one time. Since it was long ago, I can’t remember any emotional weight that was behind the question. She may have wanted a geopolitical chat with me assuming my memory of her bringing up Henry Kissinger is even in the same conversation.

In any case I think my answer was strictly from the point of view of cinema. I asked what choice is there? 

The movies we watch are American products made usually by Americans for Americans. The United States just happens to have a lock on the entertainment market around the world which why we end up watching their products. It’s not exactly brainwashing. Or is it?

The American hegemony - or to some the empire - is made possible by the money and influence to recruit the best people, building the most powerful army in the world, and nuclear technology – if that be a good thing. It follows that if there’s any scenario that requires saving the world the most powerful country would logically take the lead, since most of us poorer countries are maybe a little too busy just feeding our own.

Today however, I concede to my Ex that I may be a victim of brainwashing, or call it colonial mentality if you like, always looking up to American leadership,ignoring if I knew at all, their sins. 

I was, I am addicted to them always in the forefront. I bought into the hype and today I miss them. 





What I’m saying is that more than anything else, what has been draining my little feelings of hope in this Covid-19 Pandemic is that the Americans are not leading. No one is.




Real Presidents

FDR during the Day of Infamy Speech

I always looked up to Franklin D. Roosevelt’s leadership lifting the United States from depression to the King of the World Stage, all the while being confined to a wheelchair. He hid that fact about his legs in public but just imagine the mental fortitude of getting over the loss of the lower extremities to making the country believe the loss of industry can be overcome. 

Never did I mind that the Europe First policy left my country alone with Japan for 2 years during World War II. 



John F. Kennedy was particularly dashing and young, telling the Soviet Union to back off of Cuba. I loved the movie Thirteen Days wherein it showed the Kennedy brothers were also busy keeping their most aggressive generals on a tight leash. Nuclear war or a coup - it couldn't have been easy.

Of course after some reading I did learn of the Jupiter missiles in Turkey. Like Cuba, Turkey is just a stone's throw away from the Soviet Union. 

Geopolitical motives notwithstanding, one always looked out for longing, respect, and or fear for the moves of the United States. I was always looking at the positive side of US motives. Today's vacuum is deafening. 


Fictional Presidents




Of course who can be more heroic and perfect than the Presidents in the movies. If you can dream then dream perfectly.

I could probably face the end of the world with some confidence with President Tom Beck (Morgan Freeman). He made plans as soon as he knew of the comet. He was calm and confident in communicating the crisis to the public

That speech on mission failure made you feel that there's a purpose even at the end of the world, then again its a movie and you always know heroes win. Am I not allowed to dream for that unifying force?



 
Honestly, I never found President Thomas J. Whitmore (Bill Pullman) presidential but when it came desperate, he didn't shy away from the fighter plane where he started his career. A leader that is willing to die with the people, is always, always, a citizen’s dream. Like the Irish Prime Minister suiting up as a Doctor again.

Of course Whitmore's speech feels like a conceit but as I said, American product.



On TV, my favorite President was Josiah Edward "Jed" Bartlet (Martin Sheen). Seven seasons of the West Wing, I believe they tackled all they could from domestic issues to international ones. The Barlet White House is my ideal of what government service should be. 


Now watching CNN, MSNBC, and news of the United States – I got nothing!

Unfortunately a President

via GIPHY










1 comment:

  1. People likewise are brainwashed into believing that good statesmanship and dignified governance doesn't exactly win the bloody war for supremacy. Everyone bought this false altruistic persona of what a modern leader should be aggressively pitching based on, as you pointed it out, their movies and other commercially successful products.

    ReplyDelete