Friday, March 16, 2007

Hero

via GIPHY

Nickelback - Hero


I am so high. I can hear heaven.
I am so high. I can hear heaven.
Oh but heaven, no heaven dont hear me.

And they say that a hero can save us.
Im not gonna stand here and wait.
I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles.
Watch as we all fly away.

Someone told me love will ALL save us.
But how can that be, look what love gave us.
A world full of killing, and blood-spilling
That world never came.

And they say that a hero can save us.
Im not gonna stand here and wait.
I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles.
Watch as we all fly away.

Now that the world isnt ending, its love that Im sending to you.
It isnt the love of a hero, and thats why I fear it wont do.

And they say that a hero can save us.
Im not gonna stand here and wait.
I'll hold onto the wings of the eagles.
Watch as we all fly away.

And they're watching us
(Watching Us)
And they're watching us
(Watching Us)
As we all fly away.yeahaahh...ooouuhh



I love this soundtrack of Spider-man I. It has a nice tune, and at least from the title it was a perfect fit to one of the best big screen adaptations of a comic book hero.


Reading the lyrics however is confusing. There is this line “Watch as we all fly away”. At first glance it sounded like a man on a retreat; it reminds you of cowardice and fear, something that is never the trait of heroes.

I was reading it over and over and I thought this can’t be right.

But then I remembered one interview of Stan Lee I saw in the Discovery channel. He was one of many speakers in a feature about popular comic book heroes. Stan Lee was one of the speakers (the main one I think) in Spider-man.

The webslinger, Stan Lee said, is different from the rest because he never wanted the responsibility. Superman was born super, and Batman trained his life for revenge. Peter Parker is just struggling to pass school and get the eye of Mary Jane.

Remember the famous line, “with great power comes great responsibility”? To us it sounds like an advice or a sermon, that if we may find ourselves with power or in the advantage, we have the responsibility to share and care for others. For Spiderman, however, it is a [painful] reminder not to be irresponsible so that no one may experience what he had gone through with Uncle Ben.

So if we go by Stan Lee’s rationale of the Spider-man, the theme song Hero works in a way like reverse psychology. People crave for heroes, people pray for heroes, but no one wants to step forward. The song does not advocate heroism but points out the lack of volunteers. Spider-man does not want to step forward either, in fact he called his powers “a curse”... yet he tries. That’s all we can hope for I think, someone who will step forward.

Why wait for a hero when it is us?

No comments:

Post a Comment